KSP January 21-23, 2018

1:35 PM January 21, 2018

Well, it’s only been two weeks and here I am back at site 127. I wanted to go ahead and start this post because it has been an interesting day already.

The trip here was uneventful, unless of course, you want to count the fact that it rained on me almost the whole way here. I am not a fairweather camper, so I kept my foot to the pedal and ventured on.

As I started to get things set up, I discovered there was no electricity. I called headquarters, and they sent a Ranger over. He checked it out, and had it fixed within 20 minutes. While he was going to get a part he needed, I decided to try out a new app that I have which is supposed to tell me what bird I am hearing by recording the song. I gave it two quick tries, and it worked both times. I know it identified the right birds, because I was looking right at them. That app will be very helpful in the future.

After the electricity was fixed, and all of the trailer was set up, I had to do a check on my fire extinguisher. Unfortunately the company that manufactured it had to recall thousands of them because the handle breaks or something. Sure enough, mine was one of those, so I went ahead and filled out the online application to get it replaced. That was more of a chore on my iPhone then I would’ve liked.

I’ve decided that since I’m only here for two days, I’m not going to de-winterize. It’s supposed to freeze part of the time that I’m here, anyway. Besides, I can still use the toilet. I’ll just have to flush by pouring water in there. It’s not going to be a bad enough freeze for me to worry about freezing my black tank. Anyway, it will all get emptied and flushed well before I leave here.

I’ll keep adding to this periodically.

7:00 PM, January 21

Well, it’s halftime on the Spurs game, so I’m going to make a quick update so I can concentrate on reading and fun stuff after the game.

After I got everything set up, I went to the store to buy some provisions for my stay. I bought food for the entire trip for $23. Being on a keto diet means that I won’t be going to Brewdawgs or any other restaurants while I’m here. Usually, every visit to brew dogs cost about that much money. It’s a lot cheaper when you don’t go out to eat.

I went ahead and got gas on the way back. I went a different way from the H-E-B and almost got lost. I was surprised, because I’ve been here many times. Just the same I ended up on a road took me almost out to Highway 10 which I never hit while I’m here. I fiddled with a new strap that I got for my binoculars for a while. It’s supposed to stop it from putting all the weight on your neck. Instead, it goes over your shoulders. I am not sure I like it. The jury is definitely out. Kind of feels like a bra on this fat man.

I took a nice little hike on one of the new trails looking for birds. I found about seven. Not too great. I tried the app that is supposed to recognize their songs, and I have to say it did a pretty good job.

The mountain cedar is attacking me with a vengeance here. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I am hiking trails that are pretty much lined with cedar trees. The yellow stuff is on almost everyone I look at. Oh well. It got sunny and nice, so I couldn’t let allergies stop me from enjoying my birding.

For the rest of this evening I’m going to drink a few scotch and gingers. Then after the game, I’m going to read for a while. I am in the middle of two books at the same time. One I listen to you when I drive, and the other I’m actually reading the old fashion way except that it’s on my iPhone. Not sure which of the two I’ll do, because I made it exciting points in both of them.

I’ll add more tomorrow. Oh wait… I forgot to say that for dinner I had an Atkins frozen dinner. It was beef Merlot. It wasn’t much food, but it sure was tasty!

9:15 AM, January 22

Well, the Spurs lost last night. That’s OK. It gave me something to do. When it was over, I piddled the night away on Facebook, Twitter, and reading. I don’t know when, but I actually fell asleep with my iPhone in my hand. I went ahead and did my nighttime things and turned out the lights.

I had an alarm set for 7:30 AM this morning. I wanted to be up in time to see the bird activity, I ate a quick breakfast of four sausage patties and three hard-boiled eggs with 2 cups of coffee and headed out. I mainly walked around the camp site areas, occasionally sitting down at a picnic table to observe the birds. I saw about seven different species. Unfortunately, they just weren’t as active as they were two weeks ago. I only saw four robins this time. The last time they were everywhere.

The mountain cedar was attacking with a vengeance. Between my itching and watering eyes and my glasses steaming up, it was very hard to see through the binoculars. I finally gave up and came back to the camper. I laid on the bed and listened to some bird songs to make absolutely sure I had the identities correct.

Right now, I’m sitting on the couch thinking about what’s next. I would love to go for my usual hike up to the scenic lookout, but the mountain cedar might just scare me off. I don’t want to get to the point where my eyes swell shut.

7:35 PM, January 22

I didn’t do much of anything for the rest of the day. I did decide that I wanted to take a nice long walk. I went all the way around the roads of the park. I sat at a couple of picnic tables listening for birds. It was unbelievably quiet. I might’ve heard two or three birds singing off in the distance the whole time. As I was almost back to the camper I did see some kind of hawk fly across the sky but my sight of it got blocked before I could make an identification. I tried out my new binocular harness for the first time. It spreads the weight of the binoculars to your shoulders. I didn’t like it when I first tried it yesterday. But, today I adjusted it better and it did OK.

The wind was blowing heavier than it had been. But, for some reason the mountain cedar ( Which is a word that Siri cannot say. It always puts seater instead!) Did not affect me as much. Sure, my eyes itch a little and my nose is runny, but I’m not in agony like sometimes. Of course, that’s mainly due to the handfuls of Benadryl and Zyrtec‘s I’ve been eating while here.

When I got back to the camper, I heated up a microwave dinner and ate it. Then I read for about an hour. I fell asleep while I was reading and didn’t wake up until I had a weird dream. I dreamt that I walked into my bedroom and stepped on plastic pieces. I figured out that they were parts of the bathmat out of my sons bathtub. Then I noticed it was everywhere. One of the dogs had obviously chewed it up. I hollered at the top of my lungs, “Has anyone seen either of our dogs?“ there was no answer. I sent noticed that there were other holes in the floor where the carpet had been eaten. I suddenly realized I was dreaming and that this was not my house. I kept walking through this strange place shouting, “Wake up. Wake up.“ There were strange people in two of the rooms. In the last one the walls suddenly changed color. I said to those strangers, “This is a dream, dammit! Walls don’t change colors.“ Eventually, I managed to pull myself out of it. By then it was dark outside. Maybe mixing Benadryl’s and Zyrtec isn’t a good idea.

I turn the heater up, it feels like it’s going to be a cold or night than I was expecting. Wait a minute – Yep, it’s supposed to go down to 25. Fortunately I left everything winterized and won’t have to worry with it. I put all the blinds down and I fixed myself a drink (scotch and ginger). I really miss my camping trip Merlot! But, it has too many carbs.

I’m going to read some more, and, if I do fall asleep, I’m just gonna let myself go.

comments powered by Disqus